click here

The Lydney pincer closes in on plucky Camberley!

Lydney second-half romp against plucky Camberley!

At Lydney on Saturday, an enterprising Camberley Team initially appeared to defy the form book and the respective positions of the teams in National Division Three.

No holding Lydney at Regentsholme!It took Lydney some twenty minutes before they were able to threaten Camberley and in that time Camberley had scored from a penalty and plundered a forward dominated try, pushing the ruck across the line, against the vaunted Lydney pack and an upset looked just possible.
Lydney's first foray into the Camberley twenty-two however led to a try by Rob Sargent and when their outside half, Adam Westall, brought the scores level with a converted penalty, for Lydney normal service was resumed.
Soon Lydney scored further tries through Westall and Arnott and as half time approached, Camberley's Captain, Warren Milne, could be heard exhorting his team: "Keep on doing the same drills, keep the tackling going, don't start folding now". The 25 to 8 half time score was soon added to by a now rampant Lydney Team, with Turoa, Scriven, Sargent and Price adding further tries and within twenty minutes the score had surged to: 54 points to 8.
Camberley were to show the gutsy determination demanded by their Captain as with some fifteen minutes remaining, Nick Dalby-Welsh plunged over in the right hand corner to add some respectability to the score line. Fulltime eventually came for the tiring Camberley side following further Lydney tries from Turoa and Jenkins with the final score:

Lydney 68 Camberley 13.

The Gloucestershire selector Barry Lewis, agreed that "Camberley came to Lydney with the intention of putting together a very good performance and for twenty minutes they did just that but after this Lydney got it together and even though Camberley showed their mettle by coming back half way through the second half, Lydney ran out deserved winners".
Camberley's Captain, Warren Milne, who put in a powerful performance himself, said that "we tried to keep it tight, we knew how they played and we tried to keep the pressure on them for as long as we could". "They play a bit like Gloucester, they keep it really tight but when they get an overlap they spin it out". Milne thought that Ben Butler had a good game playing out of his usual position and Andy Walsh, with his kicks to the corner kept Camberley in the game for a long time".
As away teams leave the dressing room the stern words: "THIS IS LYDNEY" is inscribed over the opening. Today, Camberley learned that lesson the hard way.

Lydney squad:
Westall, Betty, Johnson, Edwards, Vine, Hill, Arnott, Price (Capt), Nelmes, Bartlett, Roberts, Kiely, Turoa, Jenkins, Scriven, Chapman, Knox, Davis, Sargent.
Camberley squad:
Blackburn, Dalby-Welsh, Harbour, Chivers, Saunders, Smart, Gaynor, Wilmott, Wood, Joiner, Appleby, Morgan, Butler, Fleming, Milne (Capt), Thomas, Walsh, Clement.

Referee, B Robertson

More pictures